Juicing doesn’t always come out the way you want it with conventional machines. Sometimes it takes more to produce to get the right taste that you’re looking for. If other juicers have not provided you with such a result, a twin gear model could end up as the final product you buy for the rest of your juicing. They have loads of advantages and benefits to your health and well-being. Below is an in-depth look at five models that have proved to be great at giving you the most value from your fruits and veggies.
Because of the distinct differences between twin gear masticating juicers and other devices that utilize augers for processing, you should know about the parts that contrast to the former. Here’s a thorough guide to help shorten the length of your search.
The following are key components and terms associated with a triturating juicer and the function they play in breaking down your produce:
An epicenter of sorts, the twin gears work in contrast to other juicing products and are the lifeblood of every triturating juicer. Without them, juicing in this fashion would be the same as any other standard auger juicer. They have several benefits, not only the longevity of the machine but the quality of your juice being processed. Remember, even the best twin gear juicer will have qualities that you could find negative, so always let your final decision reflect all aspects of a product you’re considering. A great juicer with poorly made gears might not be the best for your home.
- Better nutritional value – On the inside of the twin knobs are parts that contain a thin layer of bioceramic or magnetic material that the juice must pass through before being dispensed into your cup. As it makes its way through this area, little droplets of water form that are nutrient-dense with minerals such as magnesium. The narrow areas condense the juice and prevent oxidation at the same time. As a result, the juice not only remains at the same temperature it was before being fed into the top but maintains its vitamins and antioxidants. This is the primary selling point of a masticating juicer fitted with twin gears.
- Better Taste – Since no oxidation develops, the juice will taste much better than standard masticating and centrifugal juicers. This results in bold flavors, especially when vegetables are added. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, rest assured that you aren’t just taking ordinary juice that’s been excessively filtered to the point of having no benefit to your body. You will receive beverages that fit even better with your probiotics (if you prefer to add them to the juice).
- Easy Cleanup – Getting everything cleaned is much easier when things move slower, mostly due to the fact that juice does not run the risk of ending up on pieces that would otherwise never touch your produce in the first place. Although most triturating juicers have more parts than those with augers and screens, they can be cleared by a simple rinse under the sink and placed back on again.
- Mix and Match – With twin gears, you should have no problems switching between fruits and vegetables on the fly. Other types of juicers sometimes mandate that the auger is changed to correspond to the type of fruit and greens you want to be pressed. If you’re juicing carrots one minute, the next can be changed to fibrous vegetables such as spinach.
Some masticating juicers have pressure knobs that can control the level being taken out of the machine, which reduces the risk of small parts jamming when in motion. Use this feature more on things like celery or parsley. Or if you did not chop off your produce as good as you could have, turning it to dispense pulp faster could save you lots of time from stopping. Just keep in mind that you may need to run the pulp through again when this occurs.
In the event of an impending jam, the reverse function will switch up the rotation of all gears at the onset of the problem. This way, the session can reset itself and start again once the area in question has been cleared. To make sure it doesn’t happen twice, look at the type of fruit/vegetables being fed into the machine. Chances are that you either forced the produce into the feeder too hard or attempted to add too much content at the same time.
The transliteration for masticating is “chew.” A fitting term, since that’s exactly what occurs when your food is given to a juicer with such a feature. Masticating juicers typically have a slower motor than centrifugal juicers but not all of them retain twin gears. For those that don’t, an auger juicer is outfitted on the machine’s gear shaft. It’s easy to identify the two. Just look at the center of the juicer. Masticating devices with augers are normally clear on the inside, allowing you to see the large grinder turning. Twin gears are not large and have steel pieces with ridges around the edges.
Other things to Consider
All masticating juice makers are slow. If you need to speed things up, decrease the amount of juice you plan to make. Furthermore, you’ll have to cut up your pieces to fit it in the tube that leads to the gears. The feeding tube on most brands is too small to add large pieces of fruit and vegetables with the exception of celery. When everything is cut, place inside the machine; but again, remember not to use too much force!
Type and Quantity of Produce
One of the best qualities about twin gears is the amount of produce that’s compatible with the machine. Fruits, vegetables, wheatgrass, and herbs will all go down without a problem. Even if you don’t alternate much between different fruits, the way it makes your juice taste so well is unrivaled by other methods of juicing.
Take a Look at the Twin Gear Juicers Below
Green Star manufactures several juicing products and has built a reputation for being some of the best in terms of available options to choose from. While no one product is greater than the other, they still make up a majority of the devices that are sold online.
The GSE-5010 edition specializes in being the go-to machine for produce that is difficult to strain. This means vegetables like cabbages go through well when fed and make a great yield that is safe to put away in the refrigerator for a few days. Processing time for dozens of cups is fast and typically sees up to 50 or more ounces of juices completed in less than half an hour. When you’re ready to clean up the mess, there won’t be much left behind in the first place. Just a quick rinse will take out all the residue, with some exceptions.
Pieces of lettuce and cabbage may become stuck around the edges of the interior and may require you to use more effort in your cleaning. This is not a big problem, however; there is a brush strong enough to get the residue out without damaging the system. As for the gears, they can be a pain to align properly, especially if you’re not familiar with them. Try taking your time on the first attempts at juicing, as placing the gear in wrong could damage the entire machine. Additionally, some hard fruits seem to have issues with straining and may require that you run it through a second time to finish.
In the end, the GSE-5010 is a good home juicer and an introduction into devices that utilize twin gears. It’s recommended for those who want high-quality juice but have avoided these machines in the past due to their reputation for requiring lots of time to operate, which it does not.
- Performs well on tough vegetables to strain such as cabbages and lettuce
- Faster than many twin gear juicers. Can produce 50-plus ounces of juice in under 30 minutes
- Most of the parts won’t require the brush to be cleaned (except for the gears)
- Twin gears can be tricky to insert properly
- The gears may jam if used for longer than 30 minutes nonstop
- If the pusher is forced too hard into the feeder, the machine may break
- Some fruits must be strained more than once to get the right amount of juice
Second on the list is the Tribest GS-P502, an equally impressive twin gear juicer that is more rudimentary than its sister counterparts. Don’t take this as a complaint, as the juicer is more than capable of giving you the same results as all the newer editions. The key benefit here lies in the pulp, which does not produce much liquid when taken out from the machine. Less pulp equates to more yield and fewer runs going over the same pulp just to get your measuring cups filled.
One big complaint is the jamming on the inside. The time gained from receiving less pulp is depreciated when the machine gets stuck and requires you to take it apart at intervals that can sometimes make it pointless to use, especially if you’re pressed for time. Furthermore, wheatgrass does not process well with the GS-P502 and should be blended together with another vegetable as a base for it to come out as juice. Consider this Tribest model when you have lots of time during your operation; it is the slowest out of all the other products on the list.
- Cleanup for basic fruits is easier than its competitors, to the point where the machine can be used throughout the day without completely dismantling
- The pulp comes out with almost no moisture at all
- Hard fruits such as pineapple are safe to use with the device
- Hard fruits require the machine to be cleaned on too many occasions in one sitting
- Wheatgrass must be mixed with vegetables that share the same texture in order for it to process
- Jamming occurs too often, making small jobs much harder and longer to complete
The Tribest GSE-5000 comes in white plastic and has every accessory you can think of to help you during your juice extraction. These tools range from brushes to different pressers designated for fruits and vegetables. The main advantage of this is the twin gears itself, which have little recesses on the inside that feed juice through and allow additional nutrients into your yield. It helps fruit taste great and prevents oxidation at the same time.
Plastic parts make some people nervous. It is also prone to looking dirty pretty easily when the juice is spilled on the outside. If you dislike taking apart lots of pieces, this may not be the best choice for your juicing. You will definitely need to read through the instruction manual to get familiar with all the different pieces and what they do, including how to clean them without causing damage.
After you have done so, you will have a juicer that’s suitable for all fruits and leafy greens that are impossible to extract with faster machines. The GSE-5000 will also keep you from searching for more pieces, as everything you need comes included with the product out of the box.
- No additional parts needed to improve the quality of juice processed
- Has many accessories to aid in cleaning and measuring juices during use
- Simple fruits and vegetables go through better with the recesses cut into the twin gears
- Lots of time spent disassembling the parts and attaching them during cleanup
- Exclusive materials in the twin gears boost juice flavor even more than other products from the same company
Super Angel Pro Stainless Steel Juicer
The Super Angel Pro Stainless Steel is one of the best triturating juicers found anywhere online. For restaurants, bars, and other social establishments, the heavy-duty construction ensures that it will last long after you have acquired it. If you wish to have it in your home, the construction and features provided outrival any other twin gear masticating juicer you have seen before.
Cleaning the stainless-steel parts will take less than five minutes to do and brush off residue with no soap; just run under water and each individual part will be clean. Overheating is a thing of the past with this device and your produce will benefit since all pulp goes out. Speaking of the pulp, it will have almost no moisture at all. So dry in fact, you could use it as a compost to grow your own fruit.
Yet with all these wonderful compliments, the Super Angel does have some issues. The rubber feet at the bottom will become damaged easily over time and is hard to replace without getting help from either the manufacturer or a professional who is familiar with these types of juicers. And the twin gears do not have guards. Be extremely careful when turning on the device, especially if they are not aligned properly. You could end up with metal shavings in your juice if they grind against one another.
Regardless, this a great juicer and looks stunning on any kitchen counter. Your juice will come out looking professionally made and completely drained of any small residue that other machines have trouble filtering. Just remember to regularly inspect the pieces that touch the juice.
- High-grade stainless-steel parts on the outside frame suitable for commercial and home use
- Has an automatic reverse function that shifts the movement of contents when jamming occurs
- Never overheats no matter how long the device stays in use
- 5 minutes of cleaning for most juicing sessions
- Pulp is completely dry; no moisture at all
- High-quality parts rest on top of rubber feet that are cheap and can break off easily
- If the rubber break, the machine must be taken apart to replace
- No buffer on the twin blades, slight risk of metal pieces falling into the juice
Omega Juicers TWN30S
The Omega Juicers TWN303 resembles single gear juicers on first glance, having the middle portion of the machine (where the gears are located on the latter) clearly visible during the extraction process. You can monitor your juice getting masticated and watch it pour from the dispenser. There’s a wide feeding tube at the top to make up for the short plastic tray table above, but don’t let this tempt you into pushing the contents down too hard.
If you push with too much force, your vegetables will jam the insides almost immediately. And even if they don’t, a foam will rise out of the feeding tube and force you to clean up to continue operation again. And the screen filter has problems with getting the juice out, leaving a thick sediment on the top that clogs the pores from separating liquid contents.
It gets so tedious at times that you might end up removing it altogether to prevent the residue from blocking the filter. If you do, fasten it back to the juicer when the liquid is ready. It should all pour out since nothing will obstruct its movement into your container now. To avoid this conundrum, use the TWN30S when you have no plan on juicing leafy greens at all. For all other products, it will work as expected.
- Transparent center areas allow the twin blades to be viewed during juice extraction
- Wide feeding tube allows extra room for fruits (to prevent them from falling off the top tray)
- The twin gears have a large buffer at the front to prevent the metal from rubbing
- Cheaply made screen holder may require a replacement
- Foam will develop at the top of the juicer when handling vegetables
- The juicer performs better without the screen on during extraction (then reattached when ready to filter)
In terms of solid construction, durable interior parts, and juice yield, the Super Angel Pro Stainless-Steel Juicer is recommended above all others. As a trituration juicer, you’ll get superior automatic controls that are unrivaled compared to the others. As previously detailed, the number of fruits and vegetables compatible with a machine can determine how acceptable it will be for you in the future.
The easy-to-remove parts are the easiest to clean out of any twin gear juicer. And Super Angel will dispense anything you place into the feeder (meaning the toughest of fruits and greens). As such, it leads in our list, being the best twin gear juicer available, and is highly recommended.