Last Updated on
If you are considering opening a juice bar, coffee bar or just a regular bar, citrus is one of the most common types of juice you will need. You will own a juicer that handles a larger volume of juice and will last a lot longer than the typical in-home juicer. Using our buyer’s guide and reviews of several different models, we can help you select the best commercial citrus juicer to fit your needs.
How to Choose Your Commercial Citrus Juicer
Benefits of a Commercial Lemon Juicer
Juicing at home has become a lot more popular during the last decade due to the higher volume of health benefits that can be obtained through the extraction of juice in relation to consuming the whole fruit or vegetable. When it comes to the commercial production of juice, citrus juices are the most commonly called for juice. To handle the volume that is necessary for a commercial setting, home juicers, especially citrus juicers, lag far behind commercial juicers in durability as well as the output. If your business has a high demand for citrus juice, one of the best investments you can make is a commercial citrus press.
Best Use of a Commercial Citrus Press
Because lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, and even pomegranate are some of the healthiest and most often requested types of juices, having a commercial lemon juicer is an essential tool in your juice bar. Even in a regular bar, where you might need citrus juice in various cocktails, a commercial press is far more efficient than the typical handheld lemon squeezer when it comes to mixing a lot of drinks during a shift. Restaurants and cafes are also places where a commercial lemon squeezer is a sound investment when it comes to longevity and the potential volume you might need to produce.
What Features to Look for in a Commercial Juicer?
When looking for a commercial juicer, your own personal preferences and your budget are two of the most obvious considerations, but there are some basic, general features which you should look for when you shop.
Type of Juicer
There are basically three classes of citrus juicers: handheld, manual press, and electric. Let’s take a quick look at each type:
• A handheld squeezer is little more than two modified spoons hinged together. A half or quarter section of a citrus type fruit is placed between the two spoons and you squeeze the handles together to extract the juice.
• A manual press is a machine which allows you a great deal more leverage for getting all the juice you can out of a single citrus fruit. It looks and operates somewhat like a drill press squeezing a half of a fruit with pressure up to 2300 pounds.
• An electric juicer usually includes a reaming action powered by an electric motor. Some models also include a press as part of the mechanics to extract juice, while others only have a reaming action.
Here is a video showing the operation of a manual press type of commercial juicer.
Dimensions of the unit become important when you try to figure out where to place the unit on your limited counter space. A smaller footprint is the most obvious answer, but not always the best as a smaller footprint might be more unstable to operate the machine. In addition to the unit’s footprint, you will also need to think about clearance height. There will need to be plenty of space above the press in order to raise the handle to its full height when accommodating larger sized fruit.
Longevity and durability are extremely important when you invest in a commercial press. Because you will be making a higher investment than with a home citrus press, a commercial unit needs to be made of durable material for handling higher volume on a regular basis. Its components need to include food grade stainless steel and have a great deal of longevity in relation to wear and maintenance.
Operation and Cleanup
You want a commercial press to be simple to operate and simple to clean. Fumbling around to get your press to work while several customers are standing in line and waiting on their orders to be completed will cost a lot in time and income. You will also want to be able to clean up easily at the end of a long shift. An additional operational feature to consider is noise level. A loud juicer motor going off every time someone places an order can ruin the tranquil atmosphere you’ve worked so hard to create.
There are a few more considerations to keep in mind when shopping for the best citrus juicer:
• Weight. This might become a factor if you will have to move the machine around a lot due to space limitations or reconfiguration of your space for different shifts.
• Value. This requires a balance between initial investment, what features and benefits you derive from the machine, and the cost of maintenance and operation of the machine.
• Warranty. With all of the other features and benefits being equal, the length of a machine’s warranty can be the one thing that seals the deal; so keep it in mind as well.
Manual Press vs. Electric
We already mentioned the three different types of citrus juicers earlier. Though technically a handheld squeezer is a type of juicer, it really is not in the same class as a manual press or an electric machine. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of these types that we are going to compare:
• Electric juicers utilize an electrically powered motor to ream out the fruit and produce juice as you press the fruit into the unit. This is a quick and effortless way to produce a large amount of juice quickly. There are a couple of drawbacks. The noise level might be disruptive to the tranquil atmosphere you are trying to maintain, and a reamer has a tendency to add bitterness obtained from the oil of the fruit’s peel.
• A manual press is a quieter operating machine, which is powered by your right or left arm, depending upon the one you use to operate the lever. The manual operation is something of a drawback when it comes to the amount of effort you have to put into the production of juice. A manual press tends to produce sweeter juice because the oil from the peel does not get added to the juice.
With this list of features in mind, let’s examine five of the top-rated commercial juicers that are available on the market today.
Top Rated Commercial Citrus Juicers on the Market
- Type: manual press
- Dimensions: 7 x 9 x 19.5 in/17.78 x 22.86 x 49.53 cm
- Weight: 9.39 lbs/4.26 kg
- Warranty: 1 year
The simple design and construction of the Hamilton Beach 932 Commercial Juicer are both efficient and attractive. This manual press style unit utilizes rack-and-pinion gearing to apply up to 2,000 pounds of pressure while reducing the amount of effort required to operate the press. It will extract the maximum amount of juice in the fruit you choose to squeeze, whether it is oranges, grapefruits, lemons, or limes, but leaves the seeds, pith, pulp, peel, and oil behind in the strainer cone. You get a sweet juice with a minimum amount of effort.
The collector cup on this press can be used to collect juice or swung out of the way to allow you to fit a larger container in its place for collecting a larger volume of juice. The strainer cone and funnel of the unit are easy to remove and clean. The unit itself is made of heavy-duty steel and chrome with an enamel finish. It includes stainless and porcelain components that are resistant to breakdown by citric acid.
This press has a small footprint and requires less height clearance than styles with a single action lever, allowing it to fit in a smaller space. It is lightweight and easy to move if it needs to be relocated often as well. Its base has Sure-Grip — hard-rubber bumpers on the bottom to keep it from skidding across the counter and holding the unit in place while the machine applies pressure.
If you want the most efficiency from a machine that requires the least amount of effort to operate, then this might be the right press for you.
- The Hamilton Beach 932 allows you to apply 2,000 pounds of pressure with little effort due to rack-and-pinion gearing.
- The components and finishes on this machine are resistant to wear from citric acid.
- This press has a small footprint, requires a much lower clearance above and weighs less than 10 pounds.
- The strainer cone and funnel on this unit are easy to remove and clean.
- You will get longevity and quality operation out of this press and it is also backed by a 1-year warranty.
- You are going to pay a little bit more money for this juicer than you are for some other models.
- Cleaning and maintenance of this unit can be something of a challenge to some users.
- The plastic in the collection cup and funnel on a machine of its price point is a little disappointing.
- Type: manual press
- Dimensions: 7.38 x 9.5 x 31 in/18.75 x 24.13 x 78.74 cm
- Weight: 20.1 lbs/9.12 kg
The Focus Foodservice 97302 Olympus X-Large Commercial Juice Press is built with the sort of quality and durability you should expect from an industrial strength product. It is built of durable cast iron with a powder-coated, enamel finish to resists corrosion and pitting from citric acid. Its components utilize 18-8, food grade, stainless steel in their construction to resist corrosion as well. You will get better leverage with less effort when compared to a typical straight-lever machine with this unit due to its 3 pinion design, which allows you to exert up to 2,300 pounds of extraction pressure.
The wide base on this unit as well as its weight helps to keep it stable. To keep it from slipping and skidding on the counter, it is also equipped with suction cup style feet on the bottom of the unit. There is a larger opening between the legs of this press in order to accommodate larger collection containers as well. The rubber grip keeps your hand from slipping during operation and the rubber handle stop adds to the quieter operation of this press.
The Olympus is a solid option to keep in mind among mid-range commercial juicers due to its durability and ease of operation. But it will require a great deal more height clearance than the other models in our review.
- The Olympus press is made of durable cast iron with an enamel finish and 18-8 stainless steel components for better longevity.
- The three-pinion leverage system reduces some of the effort necessary to apply 2,300 pounds of extraction force.
- The rubber handle won’t slip out of your hand when applying heavier pressure.
- It has rubber suction cup feet on the base to keep it from slipping or skidding on the countertop during use.
- Very easy to clean up after use.
- The pinions in the leverage system have a tendency to wobble from side to side while pressing.
- Larger oranges and grapefruits don’t fit well in the squeeze cup.
- The clearance height for the handle with this unit is much higher than the others reviewed.
- Type: manual press
- Dimensions: 7.8 x 11.5 x 27.5 in/19.81 x 29.21 x 69.85 cm
- Weight: 15.2 lbs/6.89 kg
Heavy-duty cast iron is used in the construction of the Gourmia GMJ9970 Large Citrus Juicer. This juicer is simple to use and utilizes a single press handle with a three-pinion leverage action, which allows you to apply up to 2,300 pounds of extraction pressure. Its interior components are made of corrosion and pitting proof stainless steel for better sanitation and easier cleanup. It utilizes powder coated enamel on the exterior parts to prevent wear from citric acid as well.
The broad footprint and overall weight of this unit makes it stable during use as do the four suction cup feet attached to the legs and base of the press. Its feet are spread wide to also accommodate a wider collection container. It has a rubber grip on the handle to prevent your hand from slipping while applying pressure and is built to extract the maximum amount of juice possible from each piece of fruit.
This is a more affordable option for those who are keeping a tight grip on their expenses, but it still has enough durability and functionality to provide a high volume of citrus juice your business demands.
- The Gourmia Citrus Juicer is a stable and heavy-duty press built of cast iron and with a powder-coated enamel finish.
- The interior components of this press are made of stainless steel to prevent acid corrosion and pitting.
- Its three-pinion leverage mechanism allows you to apply a higher amount of pressure with less effort.
- Its wider base makes it more stable while pressing.
- A rubber grip on the handle and rubber suction cups on the feet provides for slip-free operation.
- The larger footprint and height clearance on this press might be more difficult to find space for in some kitchens.
- Smaller limes, larger oranges, and grapefruits do not work well in this press.
- Lubrication and tightening of the joints on this press are required more often than with most.
- Type: manual press
- Dimensions: 7.5 x 11.5 x 27.5 in/19.05 x 29.21 x 69.85 cm
- Weight: 13.89 lbs/6.3 kg
Another affordable option among manual press juicers is the ROVSUN Commercial Grade Citrus Juicer. This is also a heavy built, cast iron press with plenty of size and weight to make it stable during use. Its exterior is finished with powder-coated enamel, so it is easy to keep clean. Its inner components are made of stainless steel to prevent corrosion and pitting commonly associated with citric acid on metal parts. This unit utilizes a 3-pinion leverage action to allow you to exert up to 2,300 pounds of pressure with less effort in order to get every succulent drop of juice out of the fruit you press.
This press has a rubber grip on the handle to prevent slipping when you are exerting pressure. It has suction cups on its wide base feet to keep the unit from slipping or skidding on your counter-top during use as well. The broader opening at the legs also allows you to make use of a larger collection container whenever you have to press a large volume of juice at one time. Easy cleanup and ease of use are also factors to keep in mind with this press.
For those who are watching their expenses, this is also a good option with plenty of durability and stability to provide a decent volume of citrus juice for your bar or café.
- The ROVSUN Citrus Juicer is a heavy-duty press built of cast iron with a powder-coated enamel finish and plenty of built-in stability and durability.
- Stainless steel is used on the interior components of this press to prevent acid corrosion and pitting.
- Application of a greater amount of pressure with less effort is possible with this press due to its three-pinion leverage system.
- Stability of the base using rubber suction cups keeps it from slipping on your countertop.
- It’s wider spread feet allow you to use a larger collection container and also keep the press balanced during use.
- You will have to make extra space above this unit due to its height clearance.
- The use of this press is limited to medium-sized fruits.
- This press also needs a bit more maintenance than some of the other presses in this review.
- Type: motorized press
- Dimensions: 9 x 11 x 18 in/22.86 x 27.94 x 45.72 cm
- Weight: 10.36 lbs/4.7 kg
The Breville 800CPXL Die-Cast Stainless-Steel Motorized Citrus Press is a little bit different than the manual presses in this review because it is motorized. Besides being a press, this unit also reams the inside of the fruit in order to squeeze out every last drop of juice. Its interior components are all food grade stainless steel, including a die-cast juicing cone and two stainless steel filters to allow for varying the amount of pulp in your juice.
This press has a whisper quiet motor, so it won’t overwhelm the tranquil atmosphere of your bar or café and includes a revolutionary active-arm system for greater control. It has a wide enough base to make it stable while in use and features a non-slip neoprene base to prevent slipping and skidding on your countertop while in use. All of the removable components of this machine are dishwasher safe for quicker and easier cleanup. It comes with built-in cord storage and a dust cover to keep the unit clean while not in use.
This is an alternative to a manual press model than those who prefer a motor-powered unit. You will need a little more cash in your expense account upfront and you will also have the additional cost of operating the unit to keep in mind.
- The Breville is a well-built, high-quality citrus juicer that will allow you to effortlessly produce a large volume of citrus juice.
- It has a wide, stable base with a neoprene pad surface to prevent it from slipping.
- It uses a quiet motor for reaming fruit.
- The height clearance necessary with this machine is about half of the other models in this review.
- This unit is backed by a well-known brand name and includes a 1-year warranty.
- You will pay a bit more for this motorized press than for a manual press.
- This unit does not extract all of the juice and pulp from large grapefruits.
- The shortness of the cord on this unit will make you have to use an extension cord or power strip to plug it in.
Best Commercial Citrus Juicer
Commercial Juicers are able to keep up with the volume of juice production that you need in order to serve your customers in your juice bar, club bar, café, or restaurant. Their higher production sets them well apart from the typical household model. Among the commercial models we have examined in this review, the best citrus juicer is the Hamilton Beach 932 Commercial Citrus Juicer.
The Hamilton Beach 932 is a manual press style juicer with a rack-and-pinion action that makes juice extraction close to effortless. It is a solidly built unit with powder-coated enamel finish and stainless-steel interior components for easy cleaning and better sanitation. The dimensions on this machine make it a space saver compared to the other presses, especially when height clearance is considered. Its lighter weight, moderate price, and 1-year warranty are other factors that put it at the top of the list.
Whether you agree with our selection or prefer one of the other models in the review, you should be well-enough informed to make a qualified buying decision whenever it comes time to purchase the citrus juicer to fit your specific needs.