Spoiler alert! If you are in a rush and just want to find out what the best blender for protein shakes is, then we recommend PROMiXX iX-R Elite Rechargeable Vortex Mixer as our top pick.
At one time, blending was limited to something one would do in a kitchen, utilizing parts that had to be filled into separate containers after mixing was completed. While there are still many great products that rely on this today, not all consumers have the time to do such a task. Others may find themselves in a setting that’s away from home, whereby an AC powered device with a large blending cup would be difficult to take along. The best blender for protein shakes will have mobile-friendly cups, fast charging times, and simple cleanup. Below are 8 devices that implement these features and more.
Here are the blenders we will be reviewing:
- Helimix Vortex Blender Shaker Bottle
- PROMiXX iX-R (2019 Model) Elite Rechargeable Vortex Mixer
- Vitamix S-Series S55 Personal Blender, Brushed Stainless Finish
- Supkitdin Personal Portable Blender
- Nutri Ninja Pro BL456
- Pop Babies Portable Blender
- Kacsoo Personal Glass Smoothie Blender
- BlenderBottle ProStak System with 22-Ounce Bottle and Twist n’ Lock Storage
- Cyclone Cups
- Sboly Blender Single Serve Smoothie Blender
Before you head over to the reviews, you should have a general idea on what a protein shake blender is and how it operates. Some of the products have a big difference in the way they are mixed. Let’s look further.
An ordinary blender will carry anywhere from 40 or more ounces of holding capacity, but those formulated for protein shakes will hold much less. The products below have sized between 350 to 450 milliliters. Some include smaller cups for additional storage. This might be an issue for some users that tend to drink more than this limit, so if you are considering such a blender, go for the containers that are larger or have more than one included with the product. Furthermore, protein shake blender could list a holding capacity that’s slightly off from what is realistically a suitable amount to put in when mixing, where the contents will leak from the top when shook or stirred by the blades.
Frozen fruit is a notoriously difficult item to cut with smaller blenders. Some can do this but may cause the machine to stall out during the mixing process. Others will have few problems, so long as measures are taken to avoid this happening. Manual shakers obviously don’t apply, so if you do want something that will emulsify the contents you add, stick to electric blenders. Cut up your fruit thoroughly or give it time to thaw out before you add into the cup. Ice is about the same, so use a protein shake maker that has a pulsing feature if this is important.
Manual, Automatic, and Compartments
If you’ve gone to the gym before, you may have seen people carrying around gym cups that have shakers. These allow the drinker to mix up their protein quickly without using blades to blend everything together.
They are shaken for a few seconds until all the protein powder is properly mixed. Many of them also have containers at the bottom to store vitamins or powder, so as to keep everything needed for making a shake in one place. Most of them cannot carry more than two or three scoops, so keep this in mind before you go full manual. Automatic blenders usually don’t have separate containers, but the ingredients can be put in the cup until you’re ready to mix.
Many of the automatic blenders shown include a USB port on the motor that can be hooked up to a PC or laptop whenever charging is needed. However, these won’t have an AC adapter, so you’ll need to find one of you’re not planning on charging with your electronic devices. Charging times may vary but generally take around two or three hours. Once the battery is full, you’ll get about a dozen blends without needing to recharge. Even the best blender for protein shakes must be powered in some form (unless you’re going manual) so stick to AC power if you don’t anticipate using one outside of your home.
The selling point for the products listed is their ability to minimize the amount of time it takes for the consumer to make shakes. A conventional blender is good for this, but the protein blenders listed below allow you to prepare your drinks in virtually any location imaginable. They are great to have around during camping and road trips as well since blending can be done either manually or with a wireless setup. You can also take it to the gym with you and use during your pre or post workout. Whatever the case, blender protein shakes are much more efficient since you’ll get the nutrients you need whenever you want them.
Our Top Picks for Best Blender for Protein Shakes
The Helimix Vortex Blender Shaker Bottle is one of the best blenders for protein shakes. It’s void of the wire shaker ball that’s hard to clean and keep from losing. Instead, it uses its patented design to mix ingredients inside the bottle thoroughly. The vortex shape helps distribute liquid and powder evenly, so you’re not stuck with a gritty shake or juice to drink. You’re also not stuck cleaning dirty shaker balls repeatedly because this bottle doesn’t use them.
Made of Tritan plastic, the bottle is odor-resistant. You’re not forced to replace the bottle after a short time because of the smell it emits. It’s also 100 percent BPA/BPS-free. You don’t need to worry about harmful chemicals leaching into your protein drink or juice smoothie. The bottle comes with a manufacturer’s leak-proof guarantee, which allows you to replace your purchase quickly.
The best blender for protein shakes is easy to clean and even has a handle on the top of it for easy transportation from one place to another. It can be taken to the gym, work, or even on vacation. As long as you have a way to wash it out, you’ll never be without it. It’s ideal for powdered supplements that use water, juice, milk, or milk alternatives as a base.
- No shaker ball needed
- Easy to clean
- Not as smooth as a blender with shaker ball
The best blenders for protein shakes will keep mixing simple and easy to carry along with you wherever you are. The PROMiXX iX-R Vortex Mixer is an excellent example of this.
It has a motor that comes off of the top when you’re ready to clean. Although you won’t want to use a scrubber to do this, adding a little kitchen soap and water should suffice to get the residue off the motor. Since there’s a USB port for this model, the sky’s the limit for the place in which the blender can be used. We recommend it as a good blender for protein shakes, so long as you’re not planning on mixing too much at one time.
- Blender contents do not leak during spinning (when filled properly)
- The motor detaches from the top portion of the cup to make cleanup easier
- With an included USB adapter, the blender can be charged from laptops, computers, or external battery chargers
- 90 minute charging time
- Comes with a 130 ml storage pod (for protein powder or pills)
- Cannot be cleaned with abrasive scrubbers without causing scratches
- The button that turns on the blender may become jammed if pressed with too much force
- The protective covering for the USB could come off, increasing the risk of damage when washing
Vitamix is known for their excellent kitchen blenders but also has a portable model in the ranks. The S-Series S55 must be blended at home but with features a big advantage.
Two cups are included with the device, one for normal indoor use but another smaller piece that can be attached to the motor and removed as a standalone drinking container. It’s 20 ounces, so you should be able to get a good amount of protein powder into the mix without causing leaks. Just be careful with how you attach it before you get started, as spills can happen if not properly fixed to the base itself. It’s definitely the best blender for smoothies, so if you need something that can alternate as a kitchen accessory with mobile options (the drinking cup), consider the S55 over the others.
- There are four automatic settings featured on the blender, smoothies included
- The blender is able to handle hot or frozen contents without damage
- Sold with a 40 and 20-ounce container, the latter being useful for smoothies
- Powerful motor runs at 790 watts, spinning smoothies out faster and more efficiently than many mobile blenders
- Runs on AC power and must be used like a normal kitchen blender
- Unless the blade is aligned carefully to the container, leakage from the bottom is likely to happen
- Difficult to get contents from the top of the container to the bottom during blending, even when using the tamper
- Although frozen contents can be blended, the motor may slow down in the middle is very dense blending ingredients
The Supkitdin Personal Blender takes mobility to another level. Its dimensions are small enough to travel with you anywhere you go. From trips to work or simple outings with your family, it’s wireless features are great to have around for people that love making drinks on the fly. Charging is done with a USB, so be you have a computer around if you think the battery is low. If not, don’t worry too much since you’ll be able to get up to 16 blends done without needing to charge the base again.
While charging time could be improved, doing this overnight shouldn’t take much effort. That way, you can have the blender ready whenever you need a shake later in the day without bringing the power cord. And if you cut up your frozen fruit well, you might even be able to produce a smoothie without damaging the motor. It’s one of the best protein blenders for mobility, so consider the Supkitdin if your moving around too quickly to do it at home but aren’t ready to do away with automatic blending.
- The 350 and 500 ml cups are great to use when blending smoothies for later consumption
- Operates with just one button that’s easy enough to use without referring to the manual
- At full power, the blender can be used over a dozen times without needing a recharge
- Strong enough to blend chopped frozen fruit
- Small enough to fit inside most backpacks and travel cases
- Mixes up powders well with no visible residue that doesn’t get touched by the blades
- While the blender can be used many times on a full battery, charging time may take up to five hours
- May stall when blending frozen fruit unless chopped thoroughly
- The product is not dishwasher safe, including the cups
- Both cups must be screwed on perfectly for the machine to start up
The Ninja BL456 Nutri Edge is very similar to the Vitamix blender shown previously but caters to users that need shake and smoothies made at a faster rate. Just about any ingredient will take seconds to finish, so your drinks will be done almost as fast as you turn the device on. It has a manual pulse, so if you aren’t pressed for time, getting your shakes at a specific viscosity is possible as well. Frozen fruits and seeds can be blended also, something to consider if you would like to get protein from sources other than powders.
You’ll want to watch how much you add to the cup though, as leaking more occur if filled too high. And cleaning the blades may require more than a simple rinse, especially if you like to use fruits. They often get stuck in between the razors and require thorough washing to remove debris. If you’re not concerned with its noise (it gets pretty loud) and the hiccups described, the BL456 is a good protein powder blender for your kitchen and could even replace a conventional model.
- 900 watts
- Most blending jobs will be completed in less than ten seconds
- All pieces are made very well take up little kitchen space
- Pulse is done manually, ensuring that the user obtains the preferred thickness in their shake
- BPA-free container does not corrode when blending ingredients with extremes in temperatures
- Can blend seeds and most vegetables without stalling
- Fruit has a tendency to get stuck in the blades and becomes difficult to clean
- When the container is filled to capacity, getting the lid closed without leaking is nearly impossible (due to the immense pressure generated from the motor)
When it comes to the best battery operated blender, the Pop Babies portable smoothie blender is one of the best. Who wouldn’t be happy to create protein shakes and baby foods in one? That’s the beauty of the Pop Babies battery operated blender. With its 17 oz cup, you can blend many food items within this powerful handheld blender option.
In addition, Pop Babies portable blender is BPA-free and has a four-leaf blade attachment on the bottom that easily cuts through all ingredients. The 175W motor is pretty bold for a travel size blender, but it’s the 22000 RPM speed that will truly knock your socks off. This blender can do all the hard work in the palm of your hand.
Overall, the Pop Babies blender is one of the best because of its 4000 mAH Li-on battery and USB charger. You can take this blender anywhere and get amazing use from it every time. It’s made to handle all types of fruit, vegetables, and coffee beans too. You can do a lot with this travel size, but you may not like that you can’t clean the blades without taking the casing apart.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Strong motor with 22000 RPMs
- Use and charge at the same time
- Comes with a funnel
- Can’t fully clean out blades
- Can’t blend anything that doesn’t fit in the 2-inch mouth
If you want to get away from using plastic blenders, then the Kacsoo Personal Glass Smoothie Blender is the best option. For a product considered the best battery operated blender, Kacsoo has everything you need in a lightweight, portable package. The design is very streamlined and easy to carry. It will fit in almost all car cupholders, and the glass jar is made from high borosilicate glass, which means that it’s BPA-free.
You can use this blender to create the best smoothies, milkshakes, fruit juice, salad dressings, and so much more. While it’s not as powerful as a countertop, the Kacsoo is still pretty powerful and has four blades that can easily blend all small fruits and ice in seconds. A single charge on this blender’s battery can also last up to a week depending on how often it’s used.
The size of this jar is just 15 oz, but its battery is a powerful force. With 5200 mAH lithium ion battery, you won’t have to recharge this blender every day. You can typically carry it anywhere, as its lightweight and safe, but it does cost more than its plastic counterpart.
- Very lightweight and easy to carry
- BPA-free, made with glass
- Holds charge up to 13 blends
- Won’t work with hot liquids
- Small blending volume
The BlenderBottle is manually operated, meaning that you must shake the cup in order for contents inside to mix. It does not with a stainless steel ball that moves freely inside the product when moved around. Another container at the bottom is for storage. You can place your protein powder or vitamins in this area and add to the top when you’re ready to shake all the ingredients into a drink. This item, while advertised to hold about 22 ounces, is unlikely to work well with such as amount.
It’s possible but could end up leaking when you shake the container, which would otherwise not come out when less is placed into the bottle. And don’t tighten the lid too hard either since it could break with too much force. Still, the BlenderBottle remains a popular item for gym-goers throughout the country. It is the best shake blender for those who don’t plan on using too much protein in their beverage but still like the option of having it available (in the storage container).
- Blending is done manually with a shaker, which takes away reliance on electricity for protein shakes
- Dividers at the bottoms of the cup can accommodate both vitamins and/or protein powder
- Can be blended with or without the dividers
- Lots of different colors to choose from
- Although the product is listed to hold about 22 ounces of liquid, filling the container close to the top will likely cause some leakage when blended
- The container at the bottom will not hold more than two scoops of protein powder
The Cyclone is the final product and another manually operated shaker. It has two cups included, so use it if you don’t plan on going to the gym alone.
At 22 ounces, the cup has a large shaker that sits below the lid. This piece doesn’t move but blends powder great. It also reduces the amount of time you’ll need to finish shaking. Once done, you’ll notice little to no leftover powder or vitamin residue on the cup. And the pill container is larger than the one shown on the previously reviewed product, with the ability to hold two cups of more protein. But the plastic is a little frail. You won’t want to drop this or place it in the freezer too long but if you don’t mind the thinner build and leak-prone lid, the Cyclone is the best blender for workout shakes when lots of powder is needed.
- There are two cups included that both have a 22-ounce holding capacity
- The cone-shaped shaker takes up a good amount of the cup which lessens that amount of effort needed to blend shakes up quickly
- A pill container is large enough to several doses and scoops of protein
- The five-part assembly is easy to attach and clean by hand
- The container may crack is placed in a freezer when full
- Does not seal completely and will leak when shaken vigorously
- The shaker is cheaply made and could break if pressed in with too much force (when attaching it to the cup)
Are you a sucker for a good protein shake? The Sboly Blender single-serve smoothie blender has been called the best blender for protein shakes because it’s easy to use and has a lightweight design. You can reach soft-serve consistency with your protein shakes in just 10 seconds. While many blenders are bulky and take up counter space, the Sboly was made to be simple and offers a polished stainless steel design that can sit in the corner of your kitchen.
While the blender base is not dishwasher-safe, the rest of the blender is, and it’s also BPA-free. While it only has 300W power, it’s not supposed to handle some of the tougher items like coffee beans. It also isn’t meant to run for long periods of time. If you try to put frozen fruits or hard vegetables inside this blender, it may break.
You get a lot of value with the Sboly blender if you only want to make smoothies and milkshakes from soft fruits and vegetables. It doesn’t have a high yield, but you will be able to use it for most drinks requiring a blender and some ice.
- Quiet, simple operation
- Easy to take apart and clean
- Compact design
- Can’t be used for hard fruits or vegetables
- Won’t pulverize hard ingredients
Each product listed in the reviews has its advantages and setbacks, but there is one that stands out above all the others. The PROMiXX iX-R ranks as the overall best blender for protein shakes, having the build and portability of manual shakers but speed that’s nearly identical to some kitchen blenders. If proteins and smoothies are your priority, you’ll find its charging time and wireless power useful in situations where kitchen blenders would be unwarranted and shakers unhurried. Knowing where you will use and drink your shakes and smoothies is essential in picking the right blender, and the PROMiXX iX-R is perfect for any location you can think of.