Have you ever had a smoothie that was grainy and difficult to drink? This often happens when you blend ingredients into your smoothie that are high in fiber, which is why this happens quite often with green smoothies, especially if they contain a lot of kale. Some blenders are better equipped to blend these foods together, but it can be difficult to determine which vegetable blender is going to have the ability to pulverize any vegetables, fruits, and seeds that you throw at it.
In this guide, we are going to take a look at some of the best blenders on the market so that you can find the best blender for green smoothies. Let’s start with a value section that will provide you with a little more information about green smoothie blenders so that you know what to look for during your search.
What is a Green Smoothie?
Many have heard of a green smoothie, but do you actually know what is inside of this type of smoothie? Well, when you make a green smoothie, you are going to want to start with a leafy green vegetable that contains a lot of nutrients and fiber. This can be spinach, kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, or any vegetable that is similar to these greens in texture.
You will need to add some coconut milk or almond milk to the smoothie to help blend the greens together, and then you can add some fruits to the mix like bananas, pineapples, or mangos. Finally, you are going to need to add some protein to the smoothie. This can be in the form of protein powder, or it can be as simple as a spoonful of peanut butter. Once all of the ingredients are blended together, you can sweeten the smoothie with some honey or agave.
Types of Green Smoothie Blenders
Not every blender that you find on the market is going to be great for making green smoothies, especially when they are fiber packed. There are four different types of blenders that you can consider for your smoothies, which include:
- High Performance: This is going to be the most powerful type of blender that you can purchase, which means that it will perform far better than some of the simplistic models on the market. In most cases, blenders that fall into this category will have at least a two horsepower motor. However, it is also going to be the most expensive option available to you as well. You can expect to spend between $400 and $1000 for this type of blender.
- Conventional: This is a traditional blender that you will see in almost any home. These blenders may be able to make a good smoothie, but they are not going to be as versatile as you may need for your kitchen. For example, they may have a difficult time crushing ice to put in your smoothie. These countertop blenders typically range in price from about $100 to $400.
- Personal: This is a small blender that is designed to make one to two servings. It will be able to blend together a large variety of fruits and vegetables, but it may have difficulties with some ingredients. Some of these blenders are designed for ice, but some will not have the power necessary to crush ice.
- Immersion: An immersion blender is a device that is handheld. It is not near as powerful as other types of blenders, but it will work great with most juices and smoothies. These blenders are also great for soups, but they are not ideal for tough, leafy greens that can be difficult to blend.
Key Features to Consider
Before you choose the best blender for vegetables, you will need to consider things like how often the blender will be used, the amount of power that you will need to make a smoothie, and whether the machine is dishwasher safe or not. Here are some of the features that you should consider before making your purchase:
- Blade Type: When you purchase a blender, it is going to have one of three different types of blades. The first is a blade that is designed for dry materials like nut and beans. The second is for wet materials and is great for making well-blended smoothies and drinks. The third is a combination of the two types of blade, and it is designed to be the most versatile option. However, these blades may not work quite as well overall, which is why it is recommended that you use a wet blade when you make a green smoothie.
- Material: The container that you blend your fruits and vegetables in can be made of a plastic material, stainless steel, or glass. All of these materials can be good options for you to consider, but there are pros and cons to each. Plastic is very light, which makes it easier to carry and maneuver in the kitchen, but you also need to make sure that anything plastic is BPA free.
In addition, plastic can be scratched easily, stain easily, and absorb the odors of the food that you are blending. Glass can be very heavy, which means that it will be easier to drop and break, but the overall material of the container is more durable. Stainless steel is also a durable solution, but you cannot see what you are blending, which means that you will need to remove the lid to check.
- Amount of Power: Most blenders have a motor that ranges between 300 and 1200 watts but blending together ingredients to make a green smoothie can prove to be difficult with a lower powered unit, which is why most prefer a blender that has at least 800 watts to work with. Of course, this power will fluctuate based on how smooth you want the smoothie to be and whether or not you will be crushing ice with it as well.
- Speeds: A blender can have anywhere from three to 10 speeds that you can choose from during the blending process. Having a pulse function can also prove to be useful, especially if you have a lot of ingredients to chop.
- Size: This can refer to the footprint of the blender itself, which will be useful to know so that you can make sure that there is ample space on the counter for the unit. It can also refer to the size that you will need based on the number of individuals that you will be serving when you make smoothies.
- Easy to Clean: Cleaning a blender can be difficult, so you want to check to see if the unit has parts that are dishwasher safe or whether the entire unit will need to be washed by hand. You will also want to purchase a blender that has removable blades so that if you do wash the blender by hand, it is easy to do. A blender with a digital display may be easier to wipe clean than one that requires you to wash around the controls.
- Warranty: When you purchase a new blender, you are going to want to ensure that there is a warranty included with the purchase. In general, most of the higher end blenders on the market offer a five- to nine-year warranty on the product.
Best Blender for Juicing and Smoothies Reviews
Vitamix 750 Heritage G-Series Blender
- 64-ounce container
- 10 speeds
- 2.2 horsepower
The Vitamix 750 Heritage G-Series Blender is a model that has been around for quite a while, but even though it is lacking some of the modern conveniences like a touchscreen control panel, it is an option that is much easier on the wallet. The container that comes with the blender is 64 ounces, which means that you can make smoothies for the entire family with ease. You can also choose to use the 32-ounce or the 48-ounce options as well if you want to make fewer servings at once.
All of the plastic material on this blender is BPA free, and the blades are crafted from stainless steel, which means that you can easily blend together nuts, tough greens, and more. The blender is designed with a 1440-watt motor that can be used to blend ingredients using one of the five pre-programmed settings on the blender. In total, there are 10 speeds that you can choose from to create a smooth smoothie, and there is a pulse function that you can use as well.
Insofar as cleaning up after you make a smoothie, there is a self-cleaning feature that cleans the blender in 30 seconds to a minute when you add soap and water to the unit. There is also a seven-year warranty included with the purchase, which means that you will not need to cover the cost of any parts and labor.
- The five pre-set buttons allow you to blend a smoothie as you get ready for the day.
- The 64-ounce container is great for larger families.
- The warranty covers the cost of repairs and replacements for a period of seven years.
- Even though the pitcher is made from plastic, it is a durable material that is 100 percent BPA free.
- The texture and consistency that is created by this blender are quite similar to what you would get with a much more expensive unit.
- The blender cleans itself in less than a minute with only a bit of soap and water.
- This blender keeps all of the nutrition and fibers in the food that you are blending together.
- The blender does not have a display that is easy to clean, which means that wiping it down will require a bit more effort.
- Since this is a powerful blender, the motor is a bit loud.
- If you are cleaning the unit by hand, you may find that it takes a bit of time.
Aimores Pro-Class Blender 998
- 75-ounce container
- Six speeds
- LED display with backlighting
One of the best blenders for green smoothies on the market is the Aimores Pro-Class Blender 998. It is a very durable blender that is made using heavy-duty, BPA free Tritan material. The container, which can hold 75 ounces, is large enough to make smoothies for the entire family. The six blades are made from a durable stainless steel material as well, which means that you will get a smoother blend of the ingredients that you put into your smoothie.
There are six speeds on this blender, so you can control the speed of the blades. The lowest speeds are great for soft fruits such as bananas and tomatoes, while the middle speeds are ideal for vegetables like carrots and cucumbers. If you are blending together tougher vegetables such as kale or attempting to chop ice, you will need to use the highest speeds on the blender. There are also three programmed speeds that you can choose to use when creating your smoothie.
Insofar as controls, everything on this blender is digital, which makes programming the appliance a simple task. All of the buttons on the display are push buttons, which makes them easy to clean, and there is even a blue backlight on the display that makes it easier to see which programs or buttons you want to use. In addition, there is a self-cleaning function that only requires you to add a bit of soap and water.
- This is a lightweight blender that is easy to move around in your kitchen when you need.
- The comfortable grip on the handle of this blender makes it easier to hold, especially when it is full of a smoothie drink that may be a bit on the heavy side.
- This blender has a good range of speeds, which means that it is going to be great for any type of smoothie.
- The bottom of the blender container is flat, which makes it easy to set on the counter while you are preparing your smoothie.
- The motor on this unit is quite powerful; in fact, you will not experience slow down when you are chopping ice.
- This blender has other functions as well that allow you to heat food, chill food, and even grind things such as coffee, nuts, and spices.
- This blender is actually quite loud, especially at lower speeds.
- The highest speed on this blender could have a bit more power.
- The LED display can still be difficult to read in some lighting.
- The recipe book that comes with the unit only has 33 recipe ideas that you can draw from.
Aicok 1200W Professional Blender
- 28- and 35-ounce containers
- Six blade technology
- Comes with a two-year warranty
This Aicok blender is the first personal blender that we are going to explore on this list, but it is a great option, especially when you are making green smoothies. It has a 1200-watt motor that powers six revolving blades that are designed to create a smooth drink without removing the pulp and the nutrients from the fruit and vegetables. It is capable of performing 24,000 to 28,000 rotations per minute, which means that you will rarely need to use this blender for more than a minute.
The blender can all be controlled with a single touch display that starts and stops the blender as well as provides a pulsing function that you can use as well for ice and more difficult foods. You can also easily crush frozen fruits and vegetables with this mode. There is also a digital timer on the blender that you can use while making your smoothie.
Since a small single serving may not always be your desire, there are two different sized cups that you can use. The larger option, which is 35 ounces, is even large enough to share. Since the cups are made from plastic, you will be happy to know that they are BPA free, and to make clean up a cinch, they can even be placed in the dishwasher. This product also comes with a two-year warranty.
- This is a powerful blender, which means that finding chunks of fruit and ice in your smoothie will be rare.
- The base of this device has suction cups that help stabilize the blender while it is being used.
- Cleaning up this blender is a breeze; in fact, the cups can even go into the dishwasher to be cleaned fully.
- There are preprogrammed settings on the blender that can help you get the perfect consistency for your smoothie.
- Even though this is a personal blender, it does not have a very compact size, which can make traveling with it a bit difficult.
- The travel lid that comes with the blender cups is difficult to remove from the cup.
- The plastic material of the cups tends to hold the smells of the fruits and vegetables that you are blending together.
Vitamix 5200 Professional Grade Blender
- 64-ounce container
- 10 variable speeds
- Self-cleaning blender
If you are looking for the best blender for kale, then the Vitamix 5200 blender is a great option to consider. This unit has a very durable container that is made of glass, which means that you never need to worry about it being scratched or taking on the odor of food that you blend in it. The container is also quite large, and at 64 ounces, you will be able to make multiple smoothies at the same time with ease.
In addition, this is a blender that has variable speed control, so you can choose from 10 different options to help you get the right consistency. If you feel that you need more speed while using the blender, you can easily adjust the speed at any time. The blades of this unit are made from stainless steel, which means that they will be able to blend and crush even the toughest vegetables. In fact, they handle crushing ice with ease. If you are interested in a warm soup, this versatile blender can even heat your food in about five to six minutes.
Once you are done blending your smoothie, you will find that this blender has the ability to self-clean, so all you need to do is add a little soap and water to the container and turn it on for about 30 seconds. This blender comes with a seven-year warranty, which makes the over $400 price point more acceptable.
- This is a very durable blender that is built to last.
- This unit is very easy to clean; even things like kale and peanut butter can be cleaned with ease.
- This is a very versatile blender that is powerful enough to make things like hummus and soup as well as smoothies.
- This unit is designed to make cold treats like ice cream as well.
- This blender comes with a seven-year warranty so you will not have to worry about repairing or replacing your blender during that time.
- This blender is not that loud, even when it is crushing ice.
- This blender has a tall design, which makes it difficult to fit the unit under some cabinets.
- This is a blender with a bit of a higher price point, but it is still a great investment to make for anyone who makes a lot of smoothies.
- The blades cannot be removed, but that does not make it more difficult to clean.
- You are required to use the tamper far too frequently when you are making smoothies and other blended things such as salsa and soup.
Ninja Professional Blender with Nutri Ninja Cups
- 72-ounce container
- Three-speed settings
- Comes with to-go cups
If you are looking for a professional blender that can be used to make a few smoothies at once, the Ninja Professional Blender is a great option to consider. It comes with a 72-ounce container that is ideal for a crowd of people as well as two single serving cups that you can use to make individual smoothies. Each of these cups holds 16 ounces and they come with to-go lids, which make taking smoothies to work for breakfast or lunch a cinch. This allows you to make single-serving smoothies with different textures and flavors as well, which will satisfy everyone’s taste.
There are three different speeds that you can use to create a smoothie as well as a pulse button that you can use to quickly chop some ingredients before blending them together. There is also a single serving function as well that you can use to creates a burst of power that will quickly blend together the ingredients that you put in the single serving cup in seconds.
The cups and the pitcher are made out of BPA-free plastic that is very durable. In fact, it can even be cleaned in the dishwasher, which will make cleanup a breeze. This blender comes with a one-year warranty, so if anything happens to the unit during this time, the manufacturer will repair or replace the blender for free.
- This is a blender that is very simple to clean, especially since it can be placed in the dishwasher.
- The unit has suction cups on the base, which means that it will remain stable while blending.
- Cups that are designed for a single serving are included with the purchase of this unit.
- The lid to the blender locks in place while in use, which ensures that the blades do not cut you.
- The pitcher is quite large, which is great for making a large amount of the same type of smoothie.
- The blades are very well made, and they tend to chop most difficult vegetables and ice in a matter of seconds.
- The to-go lids cannot be closed, so you will have to be cautious of spills.
- The warranty is not nearly as long as some of the warranties provided by competitors.
- This blender is quite loud, especially at faster speeds.
- The blades cannot be removed during the cleaning process.
- The motor tends to get hot when blending consistently, which is often needed for a really smooth consistency.
All five of the blenders that we reviewed in this guide are great options, especially if you are looking for the best blender for kale. Many of the green smoothies that you are going to create are going to have fibrous vegetables in their ingredients, so finding a durable blender is important. Out of all of the blenders that we have reviewed, the Aimores Pro-Class Blender 998 stood out above the rest. It is a six-speed blender that is completely programmable. The 75-ounce container is BPA free, and the unit even has a self-cleaning feature that only requires you to add a little soap and water to the unit.